Started blogging a little over a month ago, and to see all this love and support from bloggers around the world feels amazing! For this Liebster Award nomination, I want to give a huge shout out to my friend, Prathima, at Later Alligator. We may be 9, 000 miles apart, but our passion for blogging has kept us very much connected. She has a phenomenal blog, so to whoever’s reading this, be sure to check it out!
Very honestly speaking, I had no idea what this nomination was all about. The more posts I read of others who were nominated, I understood its power of connecting bloggers. It makes bloggers feel special about their writing, photography, and thoughts and encourages them to continue to do so.
So here it goes in the hope that this award nomination thread continues and for virtually meeting more diverse and amazing bloggers!
The rules for the Liebster Award nomination are pretty straightforward:
- Thank the one(s) who nominated you
- Answer 11 questions the blogger gives you
- Give 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 11 bloggers that you think deserve this award too
- Give them 11 questions to answer
- Let the bloggers know you nominated them
And, here are Prathima’s questions and my answers:
1. If you had to choose, what would it be – budget or luxury travel?
I absolutely love the challenge for travelling under a budget! To me, the richest and most luxurious travel experience is eating at a local roadside food stand as opposed to dressing up and dining at a 5-star hotel. It’s watching kids play street cricket at the park and joining them as opposed to heading to an expensive musical at some top-notch theater. I don’t want to be a tourist; I just want to experience it like a native in that country. And, most of the times, that takes a budget travel and nothing more.
2. What’s your biggest fear about travelling?
My biggest fear about travelling is not having a safe place to stay at night. As much fun nomad travelling sounds, as a girl, I just worry about a safe place to stay during the night. Doesn’t have to be super neat, have a complimentary breakfast, or anything fancy. Just needs to be safe.
3. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
One thing everyone about me knows… I’m not an adventurous eater AT all. But, one thing I ate at a Scouts camping trip in elementary school that still makes me puke just thinking about it is mashed and cooked canned brown beans. Looks like sh*t and probably tastes like sh*t. This is why I’m not a fan of Mexican food either.
4. What is your comfort food?
Hands down, that typical Madrasi breakfast (more like a meal, my bad) — that steamy and delicious idli, spicy vegetable-filled sambar, fresh coconut chutney, crispy medhu vada, and a hot filter coffee to top it off. Just typing this makes me hungry.
5. Have you ever been to India?
Yup, I was born in Chennai and lived there my first five years before moving here! But, my family’s very connected to our relatives there — the typical weekly calls where we all yell on the phone despite the service being so clear, FaceTiming during special occasions, sharing pictures and memes on that family WhatsApp group everyone has, and of course visiting them every other summer for 2-3 months.
6. Describe your blog in one word.
7. What do you hate/dislike about blogging?
Honestly, I dislike it when I have a genuine piece freshly posted but there are no views on it. I post thoughts to see what others feel, but if others don’t see it, then I’m not quite sure what to do, haha.
8. What are the top five things on your bucket list?
- Live in Bangalore, Chennai, and/or Hyderabad for at least 3 years of my life with my husband (not married yet lol) and travel all over India during my time there.
- Teach students in underprivileged areas through the Peace Corps.
- Meet the Indian Cricket team players that were part of the 2011 World Cup win.
- Choreograph a dance routine for an Indian movie.
- Have a cup of coffee with Dr. Abdul Kalam. I was too late with this one. 😦
9. Which is the one place in the world you wouldn’t mind visiting again and again?
10. What did you want to be growing up?
I went through a lot of phases — top 3 I can think of now right away are: doctor, Indian actress, and chef with my own cooking show.
11. Are you what you wanted to be?
I am not yet in any of these professions, but I still could be. What is more important is that I am happy with where I am today and with all I’ve accomplished. Still got many years to come.
Okay, next step: 11 Random Facts About Me
- I am a trained Bharatnatyam dancer (for 16 years now).
- I can speak 4 languages fluently — English, Tamil, Telugu, and French.
- I have plenty of Indian actor crushes, but one by one they’re getting married away lol.
- My goal is to make at least one music cover by the end of the summer. Anyone want to collab? I’m a pretty decent singer.
- My grandpa used to own a stationary store in India in my name.
- Name any Tamil or Telugu movie. I’ve 90% watched it. That’s how much I love cinema.
- I’ve been playing the violin for 12+ years now.
- I have a weird craze over airports and airplanes. They make me so happy.
- I believe in horoscopes.
- My birthday is the same day as Rajnikanth and Yuvraj Singh. The former name usually excites all my Indian friends.
- I like Pepsi more than Coca Cola, and I’m from Atlanta…hmm.
Okay, your turn. My nominees for the Liebster Award are:
- The Evolutionary Mind
- Rijul Ballal
- The Aahir Entry
- Trickster Chase
- Divya Rao
- Passion to Color
- That’s So Taran
My questions for the nominees are:
- Tell me the 3 best qualities about you.
- What are your 3 favorite movies?
- Name a celebrity you think is lame.
- Would you rather win an Olympic medal, an Academy Award or the Nobel Peace prize?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- What’s the first thing you do when you get home from a trip?
- Would you rather be the best player on a horrible team or the worst player on a great team?
- If someone made a movie of your life would it be a drama, a comedy, a romantic-comedy, action film, or science fiction?
- Who’s your celebrity crush?
- What is your favorite quote?
- If you could shop for free at one store, which one would you choose?
And, that concludes this post! Definitely a long post, but I had fun writing it. Hoping it’s just as fun for my nominees! Looking forward to getting to know y’all better! Cheers! 🙂